Nelson Bay is a charming coastal resort town situated within the greater Port Stephens region in New South Wales, Australia. It’s positioned just inside the mouth of Port Stephens, a large natural harbor. Here’s a summary of the key features and attractions of Nelson Bay and the surrounding area:
Location and Accessibility:
- Nelson Bay is approximately 223 km north of Sydney via the Pacific Highway and 69 km from Newcastle by road.
- The town is situated at an elevation of 18 meters above sea level.
- Nelson Bay is home to approximately 5,000 residents, making it the largest town in the Port Stephens area.
- Port Stephens and its surroundings are known for being a prime adventure destination in New South Wales, offering a wide range of activities on both land and sea.
Whale Watching and Dolphin Adventures:
- Nelson Bay serves as a launchpad for whale watching tours, sunset cruises, and swim-with-dolphin adventures.
- The area is inhabited by more than 100 dolphins, providing ample opportunities for dolphin-watching cruises.
Recreation and Nature Exploration:
- Nelson Bay offers a close-to-nature experience along with convenient amenities such as cafés, restaurants, and shopping centers.
- The town features sheltered beaches, making it an ideal destination for families with young children.
Cycling and Scenic Views:
- Visitors can explore the picturesque waterfront by cycling along the Bartlett cycleway, a 5 km route from Bagnalls Beach to Little Beach.
- The route passes by the heritage-listed Nelson Head Lighthouse, offering a delightful café with stunning coastal views.
- Gan Gan Hill lookout provides panoramic vistas of the Port Stephens inlet, Tomaree National Park, Fingal Bay, and the Stockton Bight Sand Dunes.
- Nearby attractions include the Tomaree National Park and Fingal Bay to the east, offering magnificent natural scenery.
- The Worimi Conservation Lands boast the giant Stockton Bight Sand Dunes, a significant natural wonder and popular tourist attraction.
Nelson Bay and the greater Port Stephens area are a haven for nature lovers and adventure seekers, providing a diverse range of experiences amidst the beauty of the Australian coast.